News feed

At last! A mobile phone for seniors. Introducing the COTA mobile phone.

UPDATE: 12 February, 2014.
Apologies, the COTA mobile phone is no longer available for sale. However, if you have a phone and would like some help using it, you can attend the COTA office for a 1 on 1 “Demystify your mobile phone” session. Please telephone COTA for information: (03) 9654 4443.

With lots of what you need, and nothing you don’t!

Research conducted by COTA and supported by many other organisations, clearly shows that older people can not or choose not to access technology because of many varied reasons. In the case of mobile phones, there are hundreds of mobile phones available, but very few that are made with older people specifically in mind. These phones are not user friendly and come with features and gadgets that older people will never use. The purchase cost of the phone is also a barrier for many people.

As a result, COTA has for some time been investigating what’s available in the market. We are excited and pleased to announce that mobile phones, specifically for older people, are now available from COTA, as an exclusive member benefit.

The COTA Mobile Phone has features and functions that our members have asked for.  These include:

• Large easy to read screen numbers
  • Large tactile buttons, three times bigger than the average mobile
  • Adjustable ringing and call volume
  • Hearing aid compatible
  • Digital number announcer
  • Hands-free speaker built in
  • The phone is small and compact and weighs only 75 grams

Other handy features include:

• LED flashlight
  • FM Radio
  • Birthday reminder
  • 6 ring tones to choose from
  • Speed-dial up to 10 numbers
  • Keypad lock
  • Send and receive text SMS messages

The phone is unlocked so you can use it on any GSM network with the mobile phone carrier you choose. This means you can continue to use your existing GSM SIM card without penalty or purchase a rechargeable GSM SIM card.

“SOS” Feature
Another unique feature is the “SOS” button, on the back of the phone.  Users can pre-program up to four mobile phone numbers (trusted people) that are called simultaneously when the button is pushed in the case of an emergency.

The phone also emits a continuous alarm once pressed. As soon as someone answers, the caller is then able to speak with them hands-free via the phone’s speaker.

If you aren’t able to speak, an SMS text message (“Emergency call, please call me”!) is automatically sent at the same time, notifying you need assistance.

Should none of the four mobile phones answer or no numbers be pre-programmed, when the “SOS” is pushed, the default number called is “000”.  The caller has the same experience as dialing “000” manually using the mobile phone or using a landline.

Because it is a mobile phone, you can feel safer when you leave home because you don’t have to remain within a certain distance of a base unit for the “SOS” function to work.

The phones are available in black and white.   They come with a 24 month warranty on the phone and 6 month warranty on the accessories.

So if you are looking for a low cost mobile phone  designed with older people in mind, that enables you to stay in touch and feel safer in the event of an emergency, COTA can help.

Order yours today and receive it within 10 working days!

Call 1300 1400 50 or visit COTA Mobile Phone

This news was categorised Member Benefits.

33 Responses to At last! A mobile phone for seniors. Introducing the COTA mobile phone.

1. Andrew Rodgers says:

Hi COTA,
    I’d like to buy just this sort of phone for my 85 yr old mother. I’m not a COTA member, is it still possible to buy a phone (and pay more)?
    cheers,
    Andrew R

2. Andrew Rodgers says:

Hi COTA,
    cheers,
    Andrew R

3. Andrew Rodgers says:

Hi COTA,
    cheers,
    Andrew R

4. cheryl auhl says:

this is a great idea and am looking foward to obtaining one ,
    i have been with southern phone for my mobil for three years,if you have your own mobil you do not have to have a contract , and for 12.50 a month i think it is an excellent value and i rarely go over my limit, the other advantage is that it is run from a country town, the service is great and the staff very helpfull. they have allowed me to go on a higher plan then come back to a cheaper one
    i hope this may be of help to someone
    regards cheryl

5. cheryl auhl says:

this is a great idea and am looking foward to obtaining one ,
    i hope this may be of help to someone
    regards cheryl

6. cheryl auhl says:

this is a great idea and am looking foward to obtaining one ,
    i hope this may be of help to someone
    regards cheryl

7. Louise says:

I’m just wondering how easy the text is to use. The old phones were very easy, but the latest are much harder. Is it possible to see this phone somewhere and experiment with it?

8. Louise says:

9. Louise says:

10. office says:

The mobile phones can be viewed at our office, 4th floor, Block Arcade, 98 Elizabeth Street, Melbourne or at Seniors Information Victoria, 247 Flinders Lane, Melbourne.

11. office says:

12. office says:

13. office says:

Yes, you can buy the phone for the non-member price but why not become a member and enjoy the many benefits of belonging, benefitting and being heard!

14. office says:

15. office says:

16. shirley Beaumont says:

I am interested ,could you please tell me the cost of the mobile phone to buy and
    can I buy and see it on the Mornington Peninsula without traveling to Melbourne city

17. shirley Beaumont says:

18. shirley Beaumont says:

19. office says:

Thanks for your interest in the mobile phone Shirley. The phone can’t be viewed on the Mornington Peninsula but can be viewed in our offices in the city at 4th Floor, Block Arcade, 98 Elizabeth Street, Melbourne or at Seniors Information Victoria, 247 Flinders Lane, Melbourne. Details of cost and ordering details can be found on http://www.cotamembership.org.au

20. office says:

21. office says:

22. Allie says:

The link in the previous comment is NOT showing me the price of your mobile phone.
    I read it twice, hit all the links and . . . . . no mobile phone info. Yep, I can ring and ask you, but all positive responses shows lots of folk are interested and you STILL can’t do the obvious – put a photo and price on your home page. This would be a real incentive for folks to join COTA.

23. Allie says:

24. Allie says:

25. office says:

I am sorry Allie that you did not find the link on the membership page. I have attached it here. You will find all the information and cost at this spot. https://www.cotamembership.org.au/benefit/mobile/purchase.aspx

26. office says:

27. office says:

28. Helen says:

hi
    I have looked at the queries & responses given on this site.
    The cost of the mobile phone is $99 (inc GST ) for COTA members and $129 (inc GST ) for non members.
    Shipping is $9 flat rate postage per phone ordered anywhere in Australia.
    Cheers, Helen

29. Quentin says:

Does it have a charging cradle, or a cable to plug in? Some cables can be quite fiddly.
    Thanks

30. office says:

Quentin,
    The mobile comes with a cable not a cradle. You can call COTA Membership Services on 1300 1400 50 if you require any further information.
    Jill

31. Geraldine Archer says:

My Mum just started using a COTA phone. She would like to have the character counter showing on the screen so that she knows how many characters she has left when she is writing an sms/text message. Can you please tell me where to find it on the phone? Thank you.

32. This specific posting, “At last! A mobile phone for
    seniors. Introducing the COTA mobile phone. | COTA Victoria” displays the fact that u actually know just what you’re talking about! I actually totally agree with your post. Many thanks -Seth

33. policy says:

Hi Geraldine

Please call Seniors Information and they will be able to help you directly on 1300135090