Cyber Security for You and your Loved Ones
It is vital to protect your loved ones and yourself when using the Internet. This free workshop offers both advice and solid practice in order to allow you to protect against malware and phishing, or having your passwords compromised.
To participate in the workshop, you must bring:
- Your own laptop (preferred) or tablet – with charging equipment
- Your own mobile phone (preferably a smart phone) – with charging equipment
- A desire to modify all of your passwords in line with best practice
Access to free Wi-Fi will be provided on the day or you may choose to use your own (e.g. the “personal hotspot” on your mobile device).
It is assumed that you actually know the passwords of all of the Internet sites to which you have access. If not, assistance will be provided in doing password resets as required.
At the completion of the workshop, it is anticipated that:
- You will have an understanding of the importance of installing protection software on all of your endpoint devices (i.e. desktop computers, laptop computers, etc.) as a defence against malware, exploits, and ransomware. In the spirit of “fit your own mask first, before assisting others”, you can assist your loved ones later.
- You will have the skills and knowledge to detect phishing and exploit messages, and to know how to handle them safely.
- You will have set up, and have commenced to populate, an approach to securing all of your best practice passwords in a “vault”.
- The workshop will run from 9:30am to 4pm with breaks
- Tea and coffee facilities will be provided, but BYO lunch
- 240V power outlets will be provided for your charging devices
- The number of workshop participants is limited to eight (8).
- A specific security vault (www.lastpass.com) will be used during the workshop. The presenter does not promote this particular vault over any other similar vault and does not receive any remuneration or other benefit from using LastPass in this workshop.
- If you do use an online security vault during this workshop, then assistance/training will be provided to ensure that no other workshop participant, or the presenter, has any opportunity to gain access to your master password. Safe access to the Internet and effective use of cyber security tools is at the core of this workshop.