From July to October each year, accredited volunteers in the Australian Tax Office’s Tax Help program help people with their online tax returns.
Volunteers can help you to:
- lodge your tax return online
- create a myGov account
- lodge an amendment to your tax return
- claim a refund of franking credits
- tell the ATO if you don’t need to lodge a tax return.
You can speak to a Tax Help volunteer:
- by phone
- in person at Tax Help centres across Australia.
Who can get Tax Help?
You are eligible for Tax Help if your income is around $60,000 or less for the income year and you didn’t:
- work as a contractor – for example, a contract cleaner, taxi or uber driver
- run a business, including as a sole trader
- have partnership or trust matters
- sell shares or an investment property
- own a rental property
- have capital gains tax (CGT)
- receive royalties
- receive distributions from a trust, other than a managed fund
- receive foreign income, that is not a foreign pension or annuity.
If you are not eligible for Tax Help, you may still be able to get help through the National Tax Clinic program.
Make an appointment
To get assistance through Tax Help, you’ll need to make an appointment. To make an appointment, call 13 28 61 (select option 3, then option 2) for Tax Help services near you.
You will also need to create a myGov account and link it to the ATO.