Older Men: New Ideas (OM:NI) men’s discussion groups are a place for all men aged 50 and over to meet each other in an informal, social environment to share their knowledge and experiences. OM:NI men’s discussion groups have been running in Victoria since 2004, and are now found across Melbourne and in some regional areas.
How OM:NI groups work
Most local OM:NI men’s discussion groups meet monthly or fortnightly. A facilitator helps to lead the group in an informal discussion. Participants are expected to listen to each other and follow the OM:NI Group Guidelines of confidentiality, acceptance and respect. Sessions are always interesting, fun and informative.
Join your local OM:NI group
Find out if there is an OM:NI men’s discussion group in your local area by checking the OM:NI Group List (PDF, 247 KB). There are no formal membership requirements – to participate, simply contact the listed contact person for your local group.
For more information contact COTA Victoria on 1300 13 50 90 or by email to email@example.com,au.
Start a new OM:NI group
If there is no OM:NI group currently in your area, COTA Victoria can support you to start a new group. We have developed a number of guidance resources explaining the process:
- checklist of steps for setting up and promoting a new group
- detailed information about how to lead a group and facilitate discussion
- a complete OM:NI information and resource manual.
To discuss starting a new group in your area, please contact COTA Victoria on 1300 13 50 90 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Watch an OM:NI group in action
Men’s health and wellbeing
Here are some links to other information and resources about men’s health and wellbeing:
- Learn about the surprising predictors of a long, healthy life in the TED talk ‘The secret to living longer may be your social life’.
- Read about men’s health topics on the Healthy Male (previously Andrology Australia) website.
- Find tips on living longer and healthier in every decade on the Foundation 49 website.