Older people were already the largest cohort receiving the JobSeeker payment (formerly Newstart) prior to COVID-19. Many older people have been further affected by job losses and reduced hours since the emergence of the pandemic. We have a long way to go to improve outcomes for older Victorians and challenge ageism in recruitment and in the workplace. As such, this position statement sets out our expectations in ensuring that older Victorians:
- Receive an adequate standard of income support while looking for work;
- Are supported to develop job readiness skills and find meaningful employment;
- Are supported to retrain or upskill at any age;
- Are free from age discrimination in recruitment and in the workplace;
- Can continue working in paid employment for as long as they choose.
Download Policy Position on improving employment outcomes for older jobseekers word version (139 KB) or pdf version (37 KB)
Related articles Stop the suffering of unemployed older Australians